Airport Consumer Survey (ACS)
Your airport is a great place to shop and dine.... So why are most of your passengers travelling through without buying from your shops?
- Why are your sales conversion rates so low?
- Why are passengers so unhappy with your shops and restaurants?
- Why can't you get passengers to spend more money at your airport?
- Why? Why? Why?...
Because getting passengers to buy something is tough. Narrow product ranges, lack of time, a feeling that things are expensive, long queues, poor signage, unhelpful staff, dirty washrooms, etc... So many things can get in the way. In fact, your sales process is like a bucket with lots of holes in it. No matter how much you fill it it just keeps emptying. If you want to get more passengers to buy you need to understand how to plug these holes. But you can't do that without having the right data.
That's where the Airport Consumer Survey comes in
It's a detailed survey on the consumption habits of your passengers (for parking, F&B, retail and duty free) that covers the following topics:
- Passenger demographics and travel profiles to create customer segments
- When passengers take their purchase decision and what advertising they remember being exposed to
- What they bought, in which shop, how much they spent and who they purchased for
- Satisfaction rating for key aspects of the commercial experience
It complements the data you may already be getting on average passenger spending by helping you understand what drives passenger satisfaction & dissatisfaction and spending, why people aren't buying, where you are losing them in the sales process and what is causing the problems so you can fix them. In other words it gives you all the answers you need to go out and plug those holes.
What do I get?
When you sign up for the Airport Consumer Survey you not only get access to great data but to our expert analysis of your survey results.
We crunch all the numbers for you and send you short and simple reports for Parking, F&B, Retail and Duty Free that show you all of the key findings for your airport. Using these reports:
- You'll see out exactly who is buying / not buying and find out whether your commercial mix is on target
- You'll find out which passengers groups you need to target to maximize sales
- You'll see what is preventing passengers from buying so you can fix it
- You'll find out what advertising is working so you can do more of it
- You'll learn what drives satisfaction, dissatisfaction and spending so you can focus your energy on areas that count
Our mission is to give you exactly the data you need to plug those holes and expert advice to help you do so.
You know it does. You can learn more by clicking on the links below. When you're ready to get started just fill in the form at the bottom of this page and we'll get back to you right away.
“The ACS has given Auckland Airport a cost-effective and sophisticated monitor of passenger perceptions and behaviour in our retail business.
We are using these insights to better-understand buying behaviour, define go-to-market plans that will increase our effectiveness, tune our channels to market and track the impact of those activities.
The visibility and control it provides us with is invaluable.”
GM Marketing & Communications, Auckland Airport
Understanding more about your passengers' shopping habits is as simple as 1,2,3.
- Passengers fill in a questionnaire while waiting at the gate and tell you what they thought about your shops, restaurants and car parks, what they bought, for who, how much they spent, etc... By interviewing passengers in the gate areas we collect feedback that accurately reflects their experience while it is still fresh in their mind
- You send your data to DKMA. If you are using paper questionnaires you need to mail these otherwise if you are using tablets you simply upload the interviews to our servers over your Wi-Fi. This takes about 2 seconds.
- We analyse your data for you and send you detailed reports that clearly show how you are performing and where you need to improve. And we provide suggestions to help you improve.
Get feedback twice a year
The research is run twice a year in Q1 (January - March) and Q3 (July - September) to cover both the winter and summer schedules. Airports we are working with have told us that they don't need the data more frequently than this. You will need to interview at least 1,000 passengers during each wave for the data to be useful.
What is covered in the questionnaire for departing passengers?
The questionnaire includes 6 modules or sections covering whole airport commercial experience:
- Passenger demographics & segmentation
- Marketing & communication effectiveness
- Airport parking
- Food and beverage
- Duty paid retail
- Duty free retail
What about passengers who are arriving or people who aren't travelling?
If you want to learn more about arriving passengers or non-travelling customers we have four optional modules you can choose from:
- Arrivals duty free
- Meeters & greeters
- Airport staff
- Special segments (Chinese passengers for instance)
When do I get the data?
We send you the reports & full data 2-3 weeks after the end of the quarter. If you need the data quicker let us know and we can crunch the numbers for you.
All of our sruveys are 100% tailored to your airport. Before each wave we sit down with you and discuss which questions you want to include. If you are using tablets you can even change these each wave if you want to investigate different aspects of the commercial experience.
What does it cost and how can I get started?
The cost of the research depends on the scope of information you need and whether or not you want any additional services such as live presentations of results at your airport.
So before we can give you a price we first need to learn a bit more about what you need. To do that just fill in the form below and we'll get back right away to schedule a discussion to learn more about your goals, what you need and how we can tailor the research to your airport. Once we have that information we'll get right back to you with a price quote and work with you to see how to fit within your budget.
When you are ready to get started just fill in the form below and we'll get in touch right away. This is free of charge and doesn't commit you to anything. If you decide that you don't want to implement the ACS after all because you prefer to guess which holes to plug in your sales process you can say so at any time.